On Labor Day, Bon Appétit posted 16 Grilled Cheese That Prove Perfection Does Exist. A few caught my eye and I shared the links on my Facebook page. We “kind of” tried the Apple and Fontina Grilled Cheese on Monday; yes, it was fairly edited to match our own tastes and preferences.
So what did we do?
- Buttered pumpernickel – not cocktail
- Balsamic Dijon mustard – not tarragon
- Shredded Fontina
- Peppered turkey – our addition
- Spinach – plenty, not just 4 leaves
- Sliced apple – we had Granny Smith, used the mandolin
- More shredded Fontina
- More Dijon
- Another slice of buttered pumpernickel
And then we put it on the panini press – delicious!
The crispness of the apples was awesome.
Apple and Fontina Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minues | Servings: Servings: 4 | Difficulty: Easy
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- ¼ cup balsamic Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- ½ lb. peppered turkey
- Baby spinach leaves
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, room temperature
Butter bread on the outside, and spread each with mustard.
Layer shredded fontina, peppered turkey, spinach, sliced apple, and more shredded fontina. Top with remaining slice of bread and cook slowly in a large skillet or on a panini press.