Today I am going to write as I cook, I don’t know if it’s going to work, but I’m hopeful. My husband found a recipe for chicken packets wrapped in parchment. The idea sounded good but the flavor was weak. I started with 5 chicken breasts and made a marinade in a ziplock bag with olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, minced oregano, minced garlic, pepper flakes, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon. Then I let it sit while I did the other prep work.
The sauce at the bottom was delicious.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Packets
Makes Serves 4 ∙ Source: The Stacey Bistro
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzle
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ⅛ tsp pepper flakes
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted mixed olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup quartered marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 small zucchini, cut in half then sliced
- Parchment paper, cut in large pieces (~14 x 10″)
Preheat the oven to 450°F with the rack in the middle.
In a ziplock bag, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
Add the chicken and marinate for 10 minutes and up to 2 hours.
Open up the parchment pieces and lay them flat. Then I used spoons to hold the parchment open and layered each with the chicken, shallots, olives, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and zucchini, then at the end drizzle each pile with a bit of olive oil.
I folded the other half of the parchment over and twisted the parchment tightly around the edges to seal them and placed them on rimmed cookie sheets.
Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken registers an internal cooking temperature of 165°F. (Use a meat thermometer, poke through the paper.)